One girl, telling you her story...

Tuesday 2 August 2011

The Beginning of a Journey

I chose a journalism course because of my mothers persistent banter that I'm 'good with words' and 'can talk on my feet'- and my own concession that I would look good on the 7pm news. ;)

What I'm really looking to get out of this course is a feel for the career- to see if it's worth working my butt off for the next ten years just to make it in the business. What excited me about journalism is the prospect of travel and life experience- meeting as many people from as many different cultures and hearing their stories. The opportunity to broaden my knowledge, my perspective and my cultural vocabulary in the hopes of becoming a worldly individual.

The downfalls? I keep hearing people talk about how journalism is a dying art, people don't want to read or watch news anymore, they want to create it. With everyone after their 30 seconds of fame, we're all too busy trying to make it big than watch others who are doing the same.

More downfalls? I shudder at the thought of becoming part of the 'media', that horrific expletive that is blamed for every social evil that befalls our society. I read an article recently expressing the opinion that the 'media' was simply the Governments propaganda tool to maintain control of the masses. We are constantly shown images and told stories of all the horrific things going on in the world- terror attacks, global warming, oppressive regimes- to make us believe that we need the protection of the Government in order to stay safe. The world is a very scary place, according to the 6.30 report, and to avoid all the disasters and calamities reaching our own doorstep we better look to the Government to be our knight in shining armor.

"For all the free speech you're allowed, the Government is allowed infinite speech against you."

This is just one opinion however, and a piece of journalism in itself. So I guess I've started broadening my horizons already. I'm looking forward to an eye-opening semester and who knows? maybe even a heart-pumping career :) I hope you enjoy taking this journey through journalism with me.

Here is a picture so you can get an idea of the girl behind the words.




No comments:

Post a Comment